Silent Observer is a non-profit organization dedicated to public safety and since 1972 has remained committed to its mission to solve and prevent serious crime in the Greater Grand Rapids area in partnership with citizens, the media, and law enforcement.
How It Works
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read before submitting a tip!
- If you witness a crime in progress, CALL 911
- When submitting a tip, we need as much detail as possible. Always include:
- Suspect’s name, description, date of birth or age and vehicle information
- Complete address and other contact info including social media profile names
- Employer and work schedule
- A description of the crime. When it happened and where it happened
- The time the drug sales are occurring (very important)
- Is the dealer selling from their home, vehicle or work?
- If at home, what door do the buyers use to meet the dealer?
- Who does the dealer live with?
- Where are the drugs kept?
Silent Observer is most interested in information about serious crimes that affect the safety and well- being of your neighborhood and community. Tips about arson, drugs, burglary, criminal sexual conduct, robbery, murder, weapons, theft, vandalism, threats of violence and people with warrants are just some of the crimes in which Silent Observer would like to receive information
When Silent Observer receive your anonymous tip, we immediately send it to the proper law enforcement agency. Although web and text tips are monitored frequently, they are not always seen within minutes so it’s best to call if your tip requires immediate attention. After you give your tip, you will receive a Tip ID number and password and can access your tip any time at p3tips.com to add new information, upload photos and to see if Silent Observer has asked any questions of you.
If you want to ask for the status of your tip, you can log into your tip or call 616.454.9110 2-3 weeks after leaving your tip – 6-8 weeks if your tip was drug related.
Silent Observer will pay a reward of up to $2,500 if your tip leads to the arrest of an individual. The reward amount is based on the severity of the crime and how important the tip was to police. A reward is available for any serious crime solved due to the help of a Silent Observer tip. You must report your tip directly to the Silent Observer tip line to be eligible for a reward. Rewards are paid to tipsters using an anonymous process
Silent Observer accepts tips and information about crimes in order to solve or prevent such crimes. Users who communicate their own criminal threats by making them through Silent Observer or use Silent Observer to knowingly harass another person are not considered to be Silent Observer tipsters; are not eligible for rewards; are not immune from prosecution; and are exempted from the promise of anonymity.
Kent County Sheriff Department
Grand Rapids Police
Grand Rapids Public Schools
Grand Rapids Police Department