Due to the increase in violence in the Greater Grand Rapids area, Silent Observer is urging residents to stand up and speak out against crime by providing anonymous tips that can bring criminals to justice. The recent uptick in shootings, homicides, assaults, armed robberies, and car thefts have affected the quality of life in our area and now is the time for the community to take a stand.
“The lasting harm this violence has on the quality of life for our residents is unacceptable,” said Chris Cameron, Silent Observer. “To support ending the shocking violence, we have made the decision to offer rewards that are the highest amount in Silent Observer’s 50-year history.” Silent Observer’s mission is to stop, solve and prevent crime from occurring. Increasing reward amounts and raising awareness of the importance of anonymous crime tips is one way Silent Observer can help. The increase in reward amounts is across the board and reflect the increase in violent and other serious crimes.
The new reward amounts for tips that bring perpetrators to justice are:
• Murder – $3,200 – a 28% increase
• Shooting with serious injury – $2000 – a 33% increase
• Shooting with property damage – $750 – a 50% increase
Police can’t do it alone so tip information is critical to help public safety agencies solve crimes so perpetrators can no longer kill and/or destroy the lives of their victims and loved ones.
Below are a few of the recent cases Silent Observer tips have assisted police in solving:
• The May 24 homicide of 24-year-old Naquie Malik Mitz on Cherry/Division
• The July 4 homicide of 16-year-old Ja Juan Webb on Leonard/College
• The felonious assault of a police officer when the driver of an ATV drove dangerously close to police officers.
• The location of a woman wanted for a deadly hit and run
• The arrest of a 16-year-old in possession of an assault rifle. He also threatened to harm some students at his school
• The burglary & car thefts of a Cedar Springs Car Dealership. Some of the suspects involved were also involved in a Muskegon Dispensary burglary and this tip cleared that case as well.
Silent Observer appreciates those who have used the program as their alternative to silence. During the past 50 years, Silent Observer tips have solved 4,590 cases and has authorized $683,505 in rewards. The value of drugs, cash & property recovered is $7 Million.
But to those who know who is responsible for the violence, you can stop it now by contacting Silent Observer and reporting those involved in making life dangerous for our residents. Speak up now for your families, your neighborhoods, and your schools. Your tip could save a life. Your tip can bring justice and closure to victims of crime. And Silent Observer continues to keep the promise of anonymity.